- This event has passed.
Virtual VLA Tour: Women’s History Month
March 26, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm MDT
Ruby Payne-Scott, the first female radio astronomer, made essential contributions to the field of radio astronomy during her time at the Radiophysics Laboratory of the Australian government’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). From working on radar during World War II to confirming that sunspots create intense radio bursts, Payne-Scott was instrumental in the birth of radio interferometry and her legacy remains an inspiration to women in radio astronomy today. Join us for a virtual tour of the VLA followed by conversation with Payne-Scott’s biographer and a panel of women currently working at NRAO.
Guest experts include:
- Miller Goss, NRAO Astronomer Emeritus, Author of “Making Waves: The Story of Ruby Payne-Scott”
- Sylvia Kowalski, NRAO VLA Operator
- Julia Blue Bird, NRAO Astronomer and Jansky Fellow
- Bade Uzgil, NRAO ngVLA Research Associate
This virtual tour will take place on Saturday, March 26, 2022, 1-2:30 PM MDT [Mountain Daylight Time, UTC/GMT -6].
Please note: due to radio frequency interference (RFI) we are unable to hold any events live from the VLA site so our virtual tours consist of the following via zoom from our offices in Socorro, New Mexico:
– a short introduction to NRAO
– a brief presentation on the VLA
– interviews/conversations with guest experts
– live Q&A with our STEAM Ed team and guest experts
Registration is required.
Click HERE to register.