Otto Struve was the first Director of the NRAO, taking office on July 1, 1959. Before coming to Green Bank, West Virginia, Struve was an eminent scientist at the Yerkes Observatory Chicago. He founded the McDonald Observatory in Texas before moving to the University of California at Berkeley in 1950. He became interested in radio astronomy there, and was on the search committee for our first Director. Before resigning in 1962, he helped ensure the NRAO had a world-class telescope, the 300-foot, while the troublesome 140-foot (43-meter) telescope was still under construction.